Graduate Spotlight: Katina Georgieva

Katina Georgieva

What made you decide to do the applied psychology degree at the University of Cumbria?

My initial interest was in journalism, which is why I did a course in Carlisle College with 3 major subjects: English Language, English Literature and Psychology. While analysing the psychological foundations of the most famous writings and learning the fundamental psychological approaches I decided that this is what I would enjoy doing at uni. Moreover, I became friends with a girl who was diagnosed with Bipolar. Following the conversations we’ve had, I realised that I wanted to become a counselling psychologist and help people by talking to them instead of writing articles about their stories. I searched for the nearest universities which offered a course in psychology but I really wanted to start my degree at University of Cumbria because I thought I would benefit more from the applied nature of the course. Also, I went to one of the open days and I was fascinated by how friendly and passionate everyone was and by the atmosphere of the university itself. I guess it was the situations I have got into, the conversations I have had and the people I have met that just built up and directed me towards this particular course which I would happily do again. 

How have you found your experience of studying applied psychology at the University of Cumbria?

‘Beneficial’ is a very weak word to describe my experience but it is the first one that comes to my mind. I have learned so much more than I have ever expected. Apart from feeling perfectly prepared to go to a postgraduate study, I have made lifelong friendships and I experienced personal and emotional growth. I became more open minded thanks to the communication with every single one of my lecturers and I was constantly feeling supported and valued.  

How well do you think the degree has prepared you for employment?

Every course, even the shortest one, has the potential to develop or improve a variety of skills and qualities, especially if it is taught by passionate and caring professionals such as the psychology lecturers at UoC. The career I have chosen requires further education, however, I do feel confident in my academic and personal abilities which I have developed during the last 3 years at UoC. I have gathered broad knowledge but most importantly I am aware of what I should keep working on.    

What are you planning to do next?

After the graduation, my plan is to do a course in Counselling Psychology. I have accepted a conditional offer for a Doctorate in Glasgow Caledonian University and I am currently working towards meeting the requirements. Hopefully, in September I will start my three-year postgraduate course. 

What would you say to anyone thinking about applying for a psychology degree at the University of Cumbria?

It has been definitely worth every moment! I would recommend this course to anyone who is passionate about psychology, about studying and who wants to broaden their horizon. It may not always seem easy but if the person is purposeful, determined and persistent this is the right course for them. The amount of support, guidance and understanding offered by each one of the lecturers is enormous, so even the biggest challenge is easy to overcome. I would do this course again!  

The courses we currently offer are BSc in PsychologyBSc Applied PsychologyBSc in Criminology with Applied PsychologyMSc Applied Forensic Psychology, and MSc Psychological Research Methods. You can also apply to study your PhD with us.

Katina is one of our recent class of 2017 graduates

Comments

Popular Posts