Graduate Spotlight: John Burrell

John Burrell

What made you decide to do the applied psychology degree at the University of Cumbria?

I always had an interest in trying to understand the way people behave, and even trying to understand why we might behave in such ways. Psychology was a subject that I hadn't studied previously so most of what was delivered during lectures was brand new to me. This wasn't any issue at all; in fact I believe it was an advantage as I had very few preconceptions of what the subject was all about. As a mature student, I was already settled within Cumbria so I didn't want to move away to study. I had already heard so many positive things about the University of Cumbria so I decided that it would be perfect for me!

How have you found your experience of studying applied psychology at the University of Cumbria?

 I don't even know where to start. Right from the first week I have loved every minute of it! I have developed strong friendships and a sound knowledge of various psychological theories and aspects. I really liked how the lecturers have different experiences and knowledge, so you are able to receive a variety of input from their backgrounds and skills. Staff were always happy to assist when you were unsure of something, and they remember your name too!


How well do you think the degree has prepared you for employment?

This degree has allowed me to explore different fields within the subject of Psychology, and has allowed me to decide what I particularly enjoy and the area I could see myself working in. This degree has developed my confidence in terms of essay and report writing, research skills (interviewing, data collection and analysis), critical thinking and confidence (speaking in public, putting my own ideas and thoughts across). All of these I feel will contribute towards employment in the future  


What are you planning to do next?

I have been given a place on the MSc Applied Forensic Psychology course at the University of Cumbria in September. I then hope to spend the year developing my knowledge further and obtaining as much experience as I am able to, so that I can then decide what I would to do next.


What would you say to anyone thinking about applying for a psychology degree at the University of Cumbria?

If you want to be on a course that has helpful, friendly and experienced lecturers then apply. If you want to be on a course that will provide you with a range of experience in different areas of Psychology then apply. If you are wanting to experience, what I feel has been one of the best opportunities of my life, then go and apply! I would highly recommend attending an open day, or speaking to staff from  the Psychology team if you want to find out more before applying. You won't regret it!


The courses we currently offer are BSc in PsychologyBSc Applied PsychologyBSc in Criminology with Applied PsychologyMSc Applied Forensic Psychology, and MSc Psychological Research Methods. You can also apply to study your PhD with us.

John is one of our recent class of 2017 graduates

Comments

Popular Posts